Wednesday, October 20, 2010

FIAE Chapter 9

Chapter nine lists ten things to avoid when grading students. Having nonacademic factors in a grading system is ok, but not averaged into the final grade. I disagree with this because I believe that if a student shows up to every class and does not miss one lesson, then they have proven a greater maturity level then others. This is something I would grade. I agree that students should not be graded on the works leading up to the mastery product. Students need time to master a subject so why should we as teachers grade their steps to mastery? We shouldn’t! Grading homework should be avoided because it is only practice. I personally believe that it shows a students ability to manage time and they will be more apt to do something that is graded if it also improves their knowledge in the long run. Help students when they need differentiating. I believe in the extra credit rule on some aspects of assignments. I feel that students should be shown they have done a get job at something by going above and beyond expectations. Although this chapter says otherwise, I still have to go with my gut reaction. Having no group grades and not grading on a curve are other evidences that I disagree with. I feel that I am equipped to teach and know if students work better with these tools or not. I can tailor them if I see need fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment